In line with our Balanced Care Method
, a holistic approach to healthy aging, this recipe for anti-inflammatory trail mix is healthy and easy to eat on-the-go. Anti-inflammatory foods have become a hot topic among dietitians and nutritionists for their ability to counteract the chronic inflammation associated with many serious illnesses. Indeed, diets that incorporate significant amounts of anti-inflammatory foods have been associated with lower incidences of many illnesses common in older adults, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.
In general, an anti-inflammatory diet includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, foods abundant in Omega-3 fatty acids such as fish or walnuts, whole grains, lean protein and spices such as cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne pepper while minimizing intake of saturated and trans fats, refined carbs and processed foods. It has often been closely associated to the Mediterranean diet
which is consumed by a majority of the world’s longest-living and healthiest people and is known to promote brain health.
This healthy and delicious trail mix is packed with nutrients and contains fruits, spice, a variety of nuts and even dark chocolate to boost brain health! The recipe below can be adjusted and made as a single serving or as a larger batch.
Anti-Inflammatory Trail Mix
- Almonds, pistachios and walnuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dried soy nuts
- Dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, blueberries and tart cherries
- Cinnamon-flax seed granola
- Unsweetened dried coconut*
- Dark chocolate bits
- Roasted green peas
*The dried coconut can be toasted in a sauté pan for added flavor
- Mix equal parts of each ingredient in a large bowl.
- Make a single serving and eat immediately or increase the quantities of each ingredient and store for consumption at a later date—you can store the trail mix in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month. Scoop out half-cup servings and pour them into small containers or bags for quick on-the-go snacks.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter at www.www.haotou.icu/Carenotes-Newsletter
to receive our Balanced Care recipes and other tips for senior health, aging and longevity!